Sizeable came from the knowledge that women come in all shapes and sizes, so if you don’t happen to be in that small percentage of ladies who have a body like your standard fit model then shopping online can be difficult. Adding to the problem is an industry that has no standardised sizing system, which means that your size can vary wildly from brand to brand making the problem even more obvious. This means that even if two women generally wear the same size, how they fill out and fit certain items can be vastly different.
Some of us are short and some are tall. Some women have big boobs and some have almost none. Some are giving Beyonce a run for her money with their killer curves and some may feel self conscious about their flat bum. So if we’re all so different then how are we expected to be able to find clothes that not only fit right but suit our body shape? Well that’s where Sizeable comes in!
While we initially launched using a method where our customers would choose their model based on the girl whose body shape or measurements best reflected their own and would shop using that model only, we soon ran into some logistical problems and modified our website in 2015.
We have now divided our models into 5 categories: CURVY (Generally an hourglass figure wearing sizes 12-14, with the models Jess and Andrea), PETITE (These models – Lucy, Sandy and Kristine – wear a size 6-8 and are under 170cm tall), ALL BOOTY (Sherena and Susan are both quite athletic, with very small breasts and a considerably larger bum), TALL (For ladies who are over 178cm/5’8″ they can shop with Kirsten and Sarah) and BUSTY (for women who wear a D cup or larger, shop with Leah or our founder Larissa).
You can also compare the measurements of every size of every item to the model’s measurements on the shopping pages to ensure the size you’re purchasing will be correct.
Currently we only offer Australian sizes 6 – 14, but are hoping to be able to expand and bring on some plus size labels and models in 2016.
WHO WE ARE
Sizeable was founded in May 2014 by Melbourne-based blogger Larissa Thorne (that’s me!).
I used to have a problem with impulse shopping, adding so many items to my shopping cart I’d have no idea what package was waiting for me at the post office. The problem (apart from my dwindling bank balance) was that my particular body shape made online shopping a complete gamble. Under my bed is a garbage bag filled with unworn clothes that should have fit, but didn’t – they gaped, stretched or just wouldn’t do up. I figured I might lose (or in some cases gain) some weight and then that item would fit like a dream (haven’t we all been there?).
I’m 5’3” and a little bit curvy, with a bubble butt and expanding boobs that currently sit at a solid D cup. I can wear anything from a size 8 to a size 12 depending on the cut, style or material of the item. This makes knowing what size I should be buying extra tricky and I know that there are a lot of women – even those who wear completely different sizes or have completely different body shapes – who are in the same boat as me.
Enlisting the help of a handful of my friends to exemplify some of the different body shapes, I set about trying to make a site that made online shopping less risky for the average woman.
- We want to promote a positive online shopping experience by representing a more diverse range of women.
- We do not stand for negativity and body shaming – any negative comments made about anybody’s appearance will be deleted immediately. (This is the case across all our platforms.)
- We strongly oppose the use of Photoshop and the pinning of the garments on our models, so that what you see on the site is exactly what you would see in person.
- We aim to remind women all over the world that they are beautiful and don’t need to conform to the media’s idea of perfection. You are perfect just the way you are – embrace that!
- We want to make online shopping as easy and pain-free as possible and try to provide you with as much information (such as full measurements) as possible so you can make an informed decision about your purchase.
- And we want to sell you beautiful clothes by some of our favourite Australian designers.